Sunday, May 11, 2008

oh mother


I’m an older mom….and as the youngest of five, the daughter of an older mom. I knew long ago I would be here; a mother. However, I didn’t know the long winding road I would have to take to get here. Most days I feel completely exhausted at the end of the day….and wonder if this would be different, say, if I were in my twenties with these twin boys. But that’s where any sort of smattering of regret stops. I am grateful to have all these motherhood experiences now. I’m slower, wiser, and have a deep deep appreciation for my life whereas I was the opposite some 20 years ago.

I love newborns….i love meeting new parents and being part of that blurry eyed, wonder, amazement and flat out terror that comes with new life. I mean, there aren’t any words for how it feels. If there is anything I wish to impart to them in my little sessions it is to slow down….sloooooow down. Breathe and try your best to embrace and savor those first months. Those middle of the night feedings when the world is still and it’s just you and your baby. Because all too quickly they will be kicking their little feet to be put down and then they are off.

In a blink of an eye, the years will pass.

Happy Mother’s Day to all that nurture, regardless of gender or relation....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A beautiful post, Kris. I was young when I had mine, but am seriously considering starting over again at 46. A few people have told me they think it's "unfair" to the child to have an older parent, and I think that's hogwash. I was a young parent, and broke most of the time, and I didn't know even a portion of what I know now.

To have a parent who loves you, and that is stable and wise, would seem to be a blessing.

Motherhood is awesome!