Tuesday, March 18, 2008

cautionary tale of boys



I'm having extra coffee this morning....why? Well, let me tell you a little cautionary tale about boys. Our little beach house has a floor furnace for heat. As much as I drill these guys on the merits of doing-as-your-told and the dangers of THROWING SHIT DOWN THE REGISTER, sometimes I skip the nightly check to make sure there isn't some primary colored plastic waiting to get torched. Last night was one of those nights so right around 2am, I sit straight up in bed because I smell the all too familiar smell in the house. I open the door to find the house full of smoke and as I make my way down the hall the smoke alarm sets off and wakes everyone up....can I tell you how disgusting the smell of melted burning plastic is? I don't know how all those children in the chinese factories stand it. So I grab the flashlight, turn off the heat and peer down to see a bubbling mass of plastic. Sweet. I know immediately what it is. It's part of a infant nail care kit I let the boys play with yesterday after I removed the hazardous bits because they are fond of the little magnifying glass on it. But the kicker is as I'm about to scrap it off I see the company name written across the handle is still quite legible. It reads "safety first". Unfortunately, the words didn't stay past the removal because that would have been a much better photo.
Last month we had a funeral for a little plastic pirate that perished in a separate incident.

Boys. It's karma coming to kick my ass, I tell you!

No comments: